Several tools can be efficient for your workflow but can make burdens instead of doing all as helping hands.
As we know, they are just forced to do all the manual work so they won't communicate with each other - on that note you're the hub that needs to help in connecting all. And if you connect it in all the ways you can far efficient in improving your workflow. This can be done only if you connect them and have to do your coordination work assigned for you. So, today, in this blog post we are going to explain to you how to do that by implementing JIRA, Slack, Jenkins and GitHub.
1. Initially, will access Jenkins to make a connection with other tools.
Steps to install the Jenkins into your local system (Windows)
For the continuous integration and continuous delivery we know one of the most popular tools or a deploying platform naming "Jenkins". Jenkins relates with the Java Application, that contains so many plugins for the automation process at the infrastructure level. Further, we will discuss how to install Jenkins in Windows. Before diving, make sure your system has JIRA, Slack installed already.
- Click here to download the latest Jenkins package for Windows (currently it is version 2.130).
- Open the file and unzip to a folder and then click on the Jenkins exe file.
- Click “Next” to start the installation.
- Now, if you want to install, just go with the click button if you want to install Jenkins in another folder.
- Click the “Install” button to start the installation process
- The installation is processing.
- When done, click the “Finish” button to complete the installation process.
- You will automatically be redirected to a local Jenkins page, or you can paste the URL http://localhost:8080 in a browser.
- To unlock Jenkins, copy the password from the file at C:\Program Files (x86)\Jenkins\secrets\initialAdminPassword and paste it in the Administrator password field. Then, click the “Continue” button.
- You can install either the suggested plugins or selected plugins you choose. To keep it simple, we will install the suggested plugins.
- Wait until the plugins are completely installed.
- The next thing we should do is create an admin user for Jenkins. Put in your details and click “Save and Continue”.
- Click “Save and Finish” to complete the Jenkins installation.
- Now, click “Start using Jenkins” to start Jenkins.
- Finally, here is the default Jenkins page
Now we are going to make connections with the help of Jenkins as continuous integrity or continuous deployment (CI/CD).
2. Then we will integrate Jira, slack and Github via Jenkins all with the help of plugins.
3. To make the connection with these tools we need plugins as we know already. So we’ll start with Jira plugin
As we know, to make the connections between these tools we need plugins.
Click on manage Jenkins in Jenkins page at the left side of the screen
Manage Jenkins -> manage plugin.
Seach Jira plugin in the search bar and install it.
The way we’ve created the JIRA connection in Jenkins with the help of Jira plugin we will follow the same steps for slack connection.
‘Click’ manage Jenkins -> ‘manage plugin’ and install slack notification plugin. Which help you to get proper notification of every action.
This connection is available in Jenkins’s configure system (in manage Jenkins) where you can access tools like JIRA, GitHub, and Slack. Look at the screenshots below you’ll a clear idea.
Connection of Jira
Connection of GitHub
Connection of Slack