In this article, we are going to mention here about to stop spam emails from your emails list. Nowadays, most email clients include some form of spam detection. Your provider will automatically red-flag messages that seem worthless or fraudulent and move them to a special folder where you can review later on.
What is spam email?
Spam refers specifically to unsolicited bulk email (UBE). Unsolicited bulk emails (UBE) is an email that is unwanted or not requested by the main recipient and sent in large quantities or bulk we can say.
Unsolicited emails mean the recipient did not access permission for receiving those emails. The name comes from SPAM luncheon meat by way of a Monty Python Sketch in which spam is ubiquitous, unavoidable and repetitive. Email spam usually pertains to unsolicited commercial messages sent in bulk by people you don't know- although there are exceptions to this rule.
If we talk about the usage of spam emails, then it has been growing in popularity since the last decade and is a huge problem confronted by many email users. Email IDs of users who receive email spam are usually obtained by spambots (automated software that crawls the internet for email addresses).
Email spam is still a problem even today, and spammers have still approached it the spam way. Spam accounts for billions of emails sent every day which makes up 98% of all the spam emails. Moreover, spam emails cause businesses billions of dollars every year.
Types of email spam
Spam emails come in many different types. The most popular or the common of all is the spam emails that are covered as marketing campaigns for the promotion of the businesses.
- Phishing Scams- The term 'phishing' is a spin on the word fishing because criminals are dangling a fake "lure" (the email that looks legitimate, as well as the website that looks legitimate) hoping users will 'bite' by providing the information the criminals have requested - such as credit card, account numbers and so on!
- Unsolicited Advertisements- Unlike television and radio commercials, or even ad links on websites, unsolicited advertising is often obtrusive and unexpected.
- Unsolicited advertisements have moved far beyond paper junk mail letters to the electronic age and can even cost the recipient money.
- Hoaxes- In this type of spam, we include offers and miracle promises, such as, for example, "get rich in less than a month" or "gain the body of your dream by eating more and working out less".
In general, this tactic is used by spammers to hold your attention and direct you to a malicious website.
- Ads- This is one of the most common types of spam. I bet you've already several unsolicited emails offering products and other services, such as weight loss pills and other offers. In many cases, it may be a scam but the offer may be real.
- Email Spoofing- Spoofing email spam is related to phishing scams. They happen when spammers or phishers try to fool you by impersonating someone you know or a company you have a relationship with.
This is one of the most dangerous types of spam.
Spam vs. Phishing
The difference between spam and phishing is quite major. Where spam is considered junk mail but for a good reason, phishing is not limited to email. Spam's existed for almost as long as the internet as a means of selling products or services to a colossal market of buyers than have ever expressed interest in such services or products. All after obtaining the email addresses of a huge number of individuals, spammers bulk send their myriads of offers at a time.
Phishing is not limited to email, another type of phishing subsume voice phishing, tab nabbing and so on. The phishing emails target crucial credentials like banking credentials, cash advances, other passwords or information of value.
Both spam and phishing are interlinked to social engineering, a general term for any activity in which an attacker is trying to manipulate you into revealing personal information and all.
How to stop spam emails?
If we talk about spam emails, they are unfortunate by-products of the myriads of interactions we have online. Whilst many are harmless and simply congest our inboxes, some can be serious or we can utter harmless scams that should be avoided at all costs.
Here, no matter how hard you try, you’ll never be able to completely avoid junk or spam email. You can hide most spam emails in a spam folder using filters, but some spam will still take up space or avoid being filtered out.
There's no confirmed or assured way to eradicate all spam from your inboxes, but here are several ways to at least reduce the amount of spam you're receiving.
Below we are going to provide some tips to help you rid your email inbox of spam emails. Many of these methods can be used simultaneously to ensure that your main inbox resides clean and easy to operate.
- Setting up the filters- In this, setting up filters is an older method of dealing with spam, but it will still perform very well for creating specific paths for unwanted emails.
Here, you can use filters for actions other than redirecting or deleting spam, but getting rid of junk mail is often a primary reason to use these functions.
- Unsubscribe from email lists- Unsubscribing from email lists you no longer wish to follow is an easy way to cut down on spam in your inbox.
Many emails will have an option to unsubscribe from a mailing list directly within the text.
- Report spam directly- Reporting an email as spam from within the information or other important message is also a prompt and easy way to get rid of junk mail when it surfaces in your inbox.
Most traditional email customers have several methods for reporting spam.
All in All
So this was the tutorial on the ways to stop the spamming emails, we hope you’ll attain much from this blog post. Each type of spamming email, the difference between spam and phishing will clear your every uncertainty.
PS: If you liked, then kindly share your kind reviews in the below comments section. And to stay in touch and not miss any of our articles/blogs, then do subscribe to our newsletter, and check out our blog page https://blog.paradisetechsoft.com/
PPS: Follow us on our Social media handles: Medium: medium.com, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ParadiseTechSoftSolution/, LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/3302119/admin/, GitHub: Do check out our recent repositories at https://github.com/puneet-kaushal/